By Dale Wolf, Editor, The Perfect Customer Experience
For the past ten years, Barrett & Simmons, a relatively small sales management consultancy near Washington DC, knew first-hand that the odds were stacked against their clients. They knew that 85% of sales calls die in voicemail hell. They lived this fact every day for nearly a decade.
The firm’s typical client was faced with a complex sales environment and a need to drive very high percentage contact rates within a finite or limited number of targeted accounts per sales representative. Working with hundreds of sales people, pursuing thousands of new accounts, and tens of thousands of new prospects – they achieved a success ratio that was high above the norms.
They figured out the key to success – they had to “out-prospect” the competition.
- It takes 10 to 15 call attempts over 4 to 6 months to achieve 70% contact rates with the right prospects
- Live connections are driven by outbound calls 75% of the time with only 25% of the connections coming from inbound calls from the prospects
Eureka! Barrett & Simmons methodology was pretty simple.
Call the right people.
- Keep calling.
- Be prepared with the right message if the prospect happens to answer the phone.
- Leave well-conceived voice mail messages that in the duration of 10 to 15 calls tell a compelling story.
- Stay disciplined.
- Use the phone every day.
- Do the hard work. Do the digging.
From their experience, if you do these simple things, you will connect with 70% of your targeted prospects. Most other sales people going after the same accounts will have given up, looking for fresh targets, while your success ratio surges upward.